Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

I Witnessed Her Spirit

Before I tell you about my personal experience with a spirit, I want you to know that I am not a religious person.  I do not feel there is one God, nor is there one religion that is better than another.  I do feel there is a Higher Power, but that may be different things for different people.   I personally try to live an honest life without knowingly bring suffering to another.  I do believe in Karma and therefore try to always be honest and pure in my actions and thoughts.

So, with that being said, I want to share an experience I had many years ago while working in a nursing home.  It is the closest I have ever come to witnessing a spirit life, here on earth. 



One evening when I arrived at work at the nursing home at 10:00pm for my shift, I was informed about a new patient, who I will call Helen, that was brought to our facility because her family could not manage her at home.  Helen was in her late 50's and in the late-stages of untreated syphilis that was now effecting her brain and therefor her behavior was out of control.  Helen's misbehavior was that she would strip her clothes off and wonder the halls if she was out of our watchful eye for even a few moments.  At her families request, her doctor had prescribed a strong medication that was supposed to sedate her so she would be more manageable, but it seemed to have no effect on her.

I spent my entire evening watching Helen undress like she had spent her lifetime as a pole dancer.  I personally redressed her multiple times that night.  Sometimes as I was struggling to put her clothes back on, she would be stripping them off of another area of her body.  I felt so bad for her because her family said she was a very modest woman and would never have dreamed of acting out like this before.  The family told us that Helen's husband had cheated on her often throughout their marriage and apparently brought her home the gift of Syphilis which she did not discover until it was too late to treat it effectively.  So here she was in our facility, basically dying from this illness that her husband gave her with his unfaithfulness.

The next evening when I returned to work I was informed that during the day Helen went into a coma and was taken the the ER.  They returned her that evening, still in the coma, because they said there was nothing they could do for her.  This was so sad, such a waste of a good woman's life.  Since it was inevitable that she was probably going to die, they didn't want to put her in a room with an elderly person that might get upset if she passed in their presence, but her family could not afford a private room.  So it was decided to put Helen in a room with a young woman (in her early 40's) who I will call Mary.  Mary had her full mental faculties but was dying from cancer.  Mary had already made peace with her own death and happily agreed to allow this woman in a coma to share her room.  Mary was one of my favorite patients because we were about the same age and she and I enjoyed each others company during my shift and with her insomnia filled nights. Mary was in the bed nearest to the window because she enjoyed watching the activity outside during the day and star-gazing at night.

Helen was placed against one wall in the first bed, with the curtains pulled around her half of the room for privacy.  No family was with her during the night shift.  I would check her vitals and reposition her every two hours to prevent bed sores.  Knowing that Helen would likely pass away very soon, I had opened the window a few inches in their room.  This is sometimes done in nursing homes because many of the Native American patients believe that the window should be open to allow their spirit to leave.  This was not my belief, but I always wanted to respect the wishes of my patients, so I made it a rule to always do this just in case that was the patients preference but they were unable to communitate that to me.

After my 2nd round for the evening I went to the end of the long hallway that had 24 doors on each side of the hall.  The lights were all turned off in the rooms and only limited lights were on in the hall, so the light would not disturb anyone who may be sleeping.  I was facing the long hallway talking to another nurse who had her back to the hallway.  While talking to her I saw, just over her shoulder, a very bright light shinning out of Mary and Helen's room.  It was suddenly lit up, then just a suddenly it was gone, as if someone had turned on a flood light in the room, then a few seconds later turned it off.  I told the nurse, "Excuse me a moment, there was just a very bright light coming from one of my rooms, I need to go see what the heck is going on."  Mary, the cancer patient, was unable to get out of bed without assistance so it's not like she got up and turned on the overhead lights, and her bedside lamp isn't bright enough for that, and Helen's curtains were pulled around her part of the room, blocking Mary's view into the hallway.

When I walked into the room, Mary called out to me, "Ami, did you see that?" I said, "I saw something, what are you doing?"  She said, "I was just laying here awake and I heard Helen exhale kind of loudly, then there was a bright light that was on her side of the curtain, it almost blinded me.  I closed my eyes and it seemed to go through the room towards the window, then it went dark again."  This gave me chills up my arms and the back of my neck. 

I went behind the curtain to check on Helen.  She was of course very still being in a coma, but I noticed I could not hear her breathing.  I put my hand up to her nose and there was no warm breath.  I pulled my rolling cart in the room and checked her vitals but could not get a pulse or blood pressure.  She had passed away. 

The only explanation for the light happening at this moment was that Helen had died and her spirit had indeed left her body and exited the window, right passed Mary as she lay in her bed awake, but with her eyes closed because of the bright light passing over her.

I have never experienced anything like this before or since, but it gave me a whole new believe about whether or not spirits exist.  I believe without a doubt that they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!